Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Something about something.

I've titled this blog "Morgendorf" in honor of my favorite adolescent cartoon, Daria. The main character, Daria Morgendorffer, was the epitome of teen-angsty sarcasm in the 90's. I idolized her because she was my complete opposite: she said what she thought without any hesitation over the repercussions. As an insecure, people-pleasing thirteen-year-old, I found Daria to be someone through whom I could live vicariously.

She's helped me a bit. I'm less of a pushover these days, but I'm still not where I want to be when it comes to speaking my mind, standing up for myself, and realizing that it is impossible to make everyone happy at the same time. This blog will cover the process of developing my inner-Daria, as well as humorous musings I observe about the world around me (as she is known for doing, as well).

I happened to stumble across an episode of Daria titled "Write Where it Hurts," and I found it very fitting with the birth of this blog. In it, Daria is given a writing assignment that she struggles to complete. There is a bit of dialogue she has with her friend, Jane, that sums up what I want to achieve with this little space on the internet:

Jane: Well, what's your definition of true?

Daria: Something that says something.

Jane: What, anything?

Daria: No, something, about something.

Jane: Let me get this straight, you're telling me that you want to write something, not just anything, that says something about something.

Daria: Right.

Jane: Gee, who'd ever believe you having trouble communicating.

- Episode: "Write Where it Hurts" (1998)

I want to write something about something that means something. Make sense?

If you have never watched Daria, or if you are interested in seeing an episode, "Write Where it Hurts" is available online in three different clips. I think it'd be a great episode to show a class of struggling writers, as well, so check it out if you're a teacher.

I'll leave you, and this first entry, with the gift of YouTube (Why isn't this show out on DVD?!).


"Write Where it Hurts" Part 1:


"Write Where it Hurts" Part 2:


"Write Where it Hurts" Part 3:



3 comments:

Jon R. LaFollette said...

i miss that show greatly.

Seshat said...

Hilarious...I don't remember this show.

Heather Rose said...

I've seen every single episode. Awesomeness.

And I love that you want to say something about something. I'm trying to achieve that myself, though I'm not so certain I've been successful.