Saturday, October 10, 2009

Picture this.

So, amongst all the other things I've been putting on my plate, I'm also trying to start a side career in photography. I'm very excited, though! My first gig is tomorrow. I'm taking engagement photos for a friend of a friend, and actually getting PAID to take pictures. Who ever thought that making money could be so much fun?!

I've always loved taking pictures, and just this past year I invested in getting myself a new fancy-shmancy camera: the
Canon Rebel XSi. I am so happy I made the purchase. It was between a camera and a bike, and since at the time I was living in an apartment without even a sidewalk or trail to venture out on, the camera won.

Now, because the camera takes high quality photos, anyone can take nice pictures on it. I still believe, however, that good photographers are successful because they have the
eye. Good photographers shouldn't have to go back and crop their photos...the framing should be set in the moment, catching the patterns, light, and action as-is. I'm so picky about this, and so it is always hard for me to hand my camera over to someone else to take a picture. Whenever I get the camera back, I look through what they've taken and I want to say "NO! You cut off their feet! They look stumpy!" or "NO! You left way too much negative space over their heads!" or "NO! You didn't press the shutter halfway down to focus the subject!" or "NO! The lighting is all wrong!"

Okay, so I'm a little neurotic. If you've been reading this blog, that's probably old news. But my point is that I've noticed I do have some sort of
eye for this, simply because I can tell when others don't. Does that make me snooty? No. I am not good at math. Others are. THERE. If you don't want to listen to me, listen to Annie Leibovitz. She's my hero.

So wish me luck. I'm going to ask them to sign a document that will allow me to use their pictures for professional reasons. I'll try to get some of them up on this site when I can. My goal is to soon have a photography section on this site so I can reveal my favorites. I'm also in the process of getting a blog makeover. Whoopee!
Everything's coming up Milhouse.

While I await the blog makeover transition, I'll post a few of my past photographs below. Enjoy.



















No comments: