Thursday, November 5, 2009

Enjoy the show. (NaBloPoMo Entry #5)

Tonight I came upon a website I am really excited about. Often, I'll be in the mood to watch a movie, but will go to the video store and not find anything that fits my exact cinematic desire. From now on, I know I can turn to Jinni.com to find a movie that fits the genre, plot, time period, and mood I want (plus more).

It's better than Netflix. Netflix had a lot of repeated recommendations and not as many categories. Jinni.com is currently doing what is called the "Movie Genome Project" where they scientifically, with a certain amount of data, try to match up recommendations to one's specific tastes. It's the Pandora.com of movies. AWESOME.

For example, say I am in the mood for an independent, mind-bending, witty friendship film. Jinni narrowed it down to three specific films for me: Following, Brick, and Orlando.

Or, let's say, I am in the mood for a period film in England involving a love triangle. Jinni gave me Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, The End of the Affair, Tipping the Velvet, and many more.

Or, just for kicks, say I want a humorous action adventure movie with a master villain and a rescue. Jinni says I should watch Stargate SG-1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Superman II for starters.

I could go on forever. This blog entry really does make it sound like I'm being paid to promote Jinni, but I promise you, it's ALL ME. I don't have to wander the aisles of the video store with a feeling of hopelessness.

Again, all I can say is AWESOME. Jinni, I love you.


3 comments:

Eric said...

It's things like this that just encourage people who don't know about movies to watch movies. All these facts should already be in everyone's head; they should decide what to watch based on extensive knowledge of every movie ever released. If somebody can't tell me who directed Rebel Without a Cause or The World of Apu without looking them up, he shouldn't be allowed to watch movies.

Kelly Jean said...

Haha, well, sorry you feel that way Eric. For people like me, who do not know enough about what I would like, are happy to use it.

I knew you'd have something to say about this one.

Talki said...

Ugh, sometimes going to the movie store is such a pain in the bum and you end up being there for EVER. So yay for this site, looks good :)

PS I gave you a blog award- my last post :)