Monday, November 2, 2009

Getting real. (NaBloPoMo Entry #2)


I realized today that I definitely sometimes do things because I think I'm supposed to love doing them, or that I should love doing them because I want to be the type of person that loves doing them. Confused yet?

I am going to get real. Here is a list of things I am finally admitting I don't love, even though I wish I was the type of person who did:

1. Cooking. When I have to make something myself, I'd rather just push a button. I love a fancy finished product, but I'd rather have someone else do it (this is where the boyfriend comes in handy).

2. Lecturing/Teaching a big class. I've found that while I love to teach, most of my satisfaction is coming from small group interaction or one-on-one instructional conversations. If all class sizes in high schools were reduced by half, I think there would be an immense improvement in student performance. I feel like I don't ever get the chance to get to know my students when I teach over thirty of them in a fifty minute period. I still like doing it, but I love small groups more.

3. Writing deep poetry. I've tried, but I've decided I just don't get it or have fun with it unless it is something Shel Silverstein-esque.

4. Dave Matthews Band. I think for awhile I tried to get into it, and I even like a few songs on the nineties albums, but I don't really get what the big deal is.

5. Exercise. I've tried to get into pilates, yoga, running, jogging, stretching, swimming, etc. and I never love it enough to keep it up. The only good exercise is exercise that doesn't feel like a chore (hiking, for instance, or ultimate frisbee. I guess I need to do that more).

6. Strong martinis. I can't handle strong liquor, and it makes me sad, because those dirty martinis with the olives look so classy. But I can't drink them with out making a squished up face.

7. 30 Rock. I guess I'll have to force myself to watch a full episode sometime, but the humor in it seems so forced, and it doesn't appeal to me.

8. South Park. Moments here and there are still humorous, but for me it is past the point of being funny and now the main goal is to mock and offend. I liked it when I was in 7th grade and it was about fart jokes and anal probes.

9. Being domestic. I guess this kind of goes along with the cooking thing, but I really don't feel like my place is in the home. I don't like to clean, cook, do laundry, vacuum, etc. I'd much rather make the money, mow the grass, kill the spiders, fix the broken appliances, and drink the beer while the man wears the apron.

10. Politics. More and more I'm realizing that it's all a big show, and while I'll still have opinions on the issues, it's all slowly fading from my interest.

There.

Are you upset that I'm not a cooking, lecturing, deep writing, DMB loving, exercising, martini-drinking, 30 Rock/South Park watching, domestically and politically active woman of today?

If you are, I'm sorry. I sometimes really wish I loved some of these things, but I just don't. There's reality for ya.


1 comment:

Talki said...

Totally with you on the cooking thing! I'm just glad I like to bake. :)